In a world with continued exposure to screens, energy-draining lifestyles, and poor diet choices, it becomes difficult to retain a healthy vision. Due to this, many of us experience eye strain and fatigue.
Incorporating simple eye exercises into your daily routine can help alleviate eye strain and maintain healthy vision.
In this blog, we will delve into a variety of effective eye exercises that can reduce eye strain and promote overall eye health.
Best Exercises To Alleviate Eye Strain
Eye strain can be caused by many factors, like intense or dim lighting, fixed gaze, and reduced blinking. With these exercises, you can reduce eye fatigue and dryness to a great extent.
1. Blinking Exercises
Blinking frequently helps moisturise the eyes and prevents dryness, which occurs after extended screen time.
Engaging in conscious blinking exercises can improve tear production and reduce eye fatigue. Practise the following blinking exercises:
- Slow Blinking: Close your eyes slowly and gently, keeping them closed for a few seconds. Then, open your eyes slowly and repeat the process several times.
- Rapid Blinking: Blink your eyes rapidly for about 20 seconds. Take a short break and then repeat this a few times.
Palming is an effective relaxation technique that helps relieve eye strain and promote relaxation. Here’s how you do it:
- Rub your palms together vigorously until they feel warm.
- Shut your eyes and place your warm palms over them. Make sure not to exert any pressure on your eyes while you do this.
- Relax while taking deep breaths. Stay in this position for a few minutes, enabling your eyes to rest and rejuvenate.
3. Focus Shifting
Focus-shifting exercises can improve the flexibility of eye muscles and reduce eye strain caused by a prolonged fixation on a single point.
You can practise the following focus-shifting exercises:
- Near-and-far focus: Sit comfortably and focus on an object or text approximately 20 feet away. Then, shift your focus to an object or text that is closer, about 5–10 inches from your face. Repeat this exercise 5–10 times to improve your eye’s ability to switch focus.
- Figure eight tracing: Imagine a large figure eight (infinity symbol) in front of you. Use your eyes to trace the figure eight slowly and smoothly. Repeat this exercise in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions to enhance eye coordination.
4. Eye Massage
Massaging the areas around the eyes can not only help relieve tension but also improve blood circulation, reducing eye strain.
Perform gentle massages using your fingertips in the following areas:
- Temples: Use your fingertips to apply gentle circular motions to the temples located on the sides of your forehead.
- Eyebrows: Massage gently with your index and middle fingers in small circular motions.
- Eye Socket: Close your eyes and use your ring finger to apply gentle pressure on the lower eyelid. Move your finger in a circular motion along the eye socket, starting from the inner corner to the outer corner.
5. Eye Exercises with Visual Stimuli
These exercises involve using visual stimuli to strengthen eye muscles and enhance eye coordination. Incorporate the following exercises into your routine:
- Eye rolls: Sit upright and roll your eyes in a circular motion. Do this first clockwise and then counterclockwise.
- Follow the finger: Hold your index finger a few inches away from your face. Focus your eyes on the finger and slowly move it from left to right, up and down, and in diagonal directions. Keep your eyes fixed on the finger as you move it while ensuring smooth and controlled eye movements.
Healthy Vision, Healthy Life: Ultimate Eye Care Solutions at Prasad Netralaya
In the case of vision, prevention is always the best cure. However, if you’ve been putting up with eye challenges lately, it is best to consult a certified ophthalmologist.
As for home remedies, incorporating these eye exercises into your daily routine can significantly reduce eye strain and promote healthy vision.
With Prasad Netralaya by your side, you can avoid major eye concerns and retain healthy vision for years to come. Our team of ophthalmologists is always at the forefront of eye care and provides reliable treatment to our patients.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation.